31.8.08

Dream: Meow.

I awaken under the desk, its worn wood dark and cavern like above me. The cushion beneath me is warm and comforting, filled with my smell, for I sleep there often. Soft light comes from the ceiling, spreading diffuse shadows about my resting place. I rise, slowly, and stretch, languishing in the feel of my muscles and tendons over my bones, the arch in my back. I settle and scratch the back of my ear, closing one eye, smiling.

I woke to noise. People wandering about the house, the graceless thump and crash of them as they go about their business (loudly, but for them that is quite normal). Their treads are familiar to me, so I do not worry. They are part of my home, too. I hear one of them enter the room, and smell his familiar smell of his aftershave and soap, on top of that dry grassland smell that is usually his. I cannot see him for the bed obstructs my view, but I hear the springs creak as he sits in it, and speaks words I do not recognize to the other person. I walk across the plush beige carpet, the fibres soft against my paws.

I jump up onto the bed, my legs coiling then springing, and gracefully, I am there, looking at him. I see the back of his head full of dark brown hair, his wide, strong shoulders, and his fine coverings of woven furs that smell mildly of chemicals and sweat. He has the bedside drawer open, and he is placing things beside him. A pleased expression is on his face, reflected in the mirrors against one wall of the room, hiding where he puts many of his other strangely smelling coverings.

I walk across the blanket and peer at what he is putting out... a long thing that smells of leather and oil, a rough coil of something that smells like dried plants and sweat, a strange looking ball that smells like chemicals, some strange looking elongated roughly tubular shapes with at least one rounded end (they also smell like chemicals), and a longish black strip that also smells of leather and oils, but with a shiny buckle and rings on it. My whiskers twitch as they touch the items gently.

He sees me peering at the things, and speaks softly, and though I only understand a couple words he says, I am comforted and begin to purr. He then strokes my head and scratches behind my ears, and i half close my eyes and sit there, my tail twitching happily. I open my eyes and look at the door as the other human, the female with long black hair and skin as pale as milk enters, wearing a long blue covering, which she removes when he speaks a few words to her that I do not understand.

I lean against the male for a moment, purring and nuzzling against him, before jumping down the bed. I exit the room, the tip of my tail slowly rolling from one side to the other behind me.

I do not think I will ever understand humans.

[[Oddly, this was not a lucid dream, as a great many of the ones I remember are.]]

No comments: